Master Sommelier Madeline Triffon knows service. As Detroit’s First Lady of Wine, Madeline has been the in-house Master Sommelier for Plum Market since 2011, where she passionately directs wine tasting events, hand selects wines to build the wine program, and serves as a corporate wine educator.
After bartending as a University of Michigan student, Madeline’s career path continued to focus on service at iconic Detroit restaurants including The London Chop House and The Rattlesnake Club. Madeline left the restaurant industry in 2011 to join Plum Market, where she inspires team members and guests with her breadth of knowledge, unabashed positivity, and dedication to service.
Only 147 professionals have earned the title Master Sommelier in North America, with a total of 229 worldwide. Madeline, one of a mere 23 women to have earned the title, also has the added distinction of becoming the second woman in the world to have passed the M.S. exam. She proudly serves as Chairman Emeritus of the American Chapter of the Court of Master Sommeliers and has previously served as Scholarship Chair.
List of Awards
- Wine and Spirits Professional of the Year, Santé Magazine, 1999
- Vanguard Award for industry leadership and vision, Restaurant Hospitality, 2002
- Golden Goblet Award for “Women Who Inspire, Women Chefs and Restaurateurs, 2008
- Award for Beverage Excellence, Cheers Magazine, 2011
- Lifetime Achievement Award for Exceptional Achievement in Wine Service, Education, and Hospitality, Champagne Krug, 2012