2016 Chateau Cos d’Estournel 'Les Pagodes de Cos' St-Estephe
Winemaker Notes: The joy and spontaneity of moments shared with loved ones. An impromptu lunch with friends is the perfect occasion to open a bottle of Pagodes de Cos. It is reminiscent of the simple pleasures of life, like homemade blackcurrant syrup, a bowl of just-picked red cherries or a freshly opened jar of citrus jam. Pagodes de Cos is at once indulgent, comforting and vivacious, like a carefree conversation with family or friends in a familiar place.
James Suckling - "A red with very deep and intense fruit character, yet rich tannins to back it all up. Full-bodied, layered and powerful. The second wine of Cos d’Estournel is serious again in 2016. Try from 2025."
Wine Enthusiast - "Dense and full of dark fruits, this second wine from Cos d’Estournel comes from specific parcels. With blackberry fruits and rich, generous tannins, the wine has weight and concentration. The freshness at the end is so typical of the vintage. Drink from 2023. Editors' Choice"
Jeb Dunnuck - "The second wine of the estate is no slouch. The 2016 Pagodes de Cos has some grand vin character in its cassis and graphite aromas and flavors. Showing more incense, graphite, and hints of flowers with air time, this medium to full-bodied, rounded, beautifully textured effort is well worth a case purchase. Drink this beauty, the equal to most estates’ top wines, while you wait on the grand vin to come around."
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate - "The 2016 Les Pagodes de Cos is blended of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 46.5% Merlot, 3% Petit Verdot and 0.5% Cabernet Franc. It has a deep garnet-purple color and opens with notions of warm cassis, black cherries and smoked meats giving way to scents of charcoal, underbrush and cloves plus a waft of new leather. Medium to full-bodied, it fills the palate with generous black fruits and some compelling red fruit sparks, supported by ripe, grainy tannins and finishing long and spicy."
Decanter - "This is a serious wine representing 55% of the overall production, with the other 45% in Cos ('not one drop into a third wine or bulk' says director Aymeric de Gironde). Extremely dark black cassis fruits and graphite show the power of St-Estèphe clays. Fresh, bright and well structured (3.61pH, 65IPT), this is bristling with fruit and silky tannins, and may even close down for a few years. A blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 46.5% Merlot, 3% Petit Verdot and 0.6% Cabernet Franc from vines averaging 35 years old, aged in 30% new oak. Barrel Sample"
Wine Spectator - "This has good energy, with a light briar note through the mix of raspberry, plum and cherry paste flavors. Subtle chalk and iron streaks add texture and cut on the finish. Best from 2021 through 2031."
|Winery||Chaeau Cos d'Estournel|
|Grape Varietals||Bordeaux Blend|