Valentine’s Day is a time for indulging in the finer flavors of life, whether you’re seven or seventy-two. Indulgences doesn’t always have to mean unhealthy though. We put a spin on classic holiday favorite that won’t cause you to succumb to a sugar coma and used school-friendly ingredients so that all the little valentines could indulge too.
Almond Butter Heart Cookies
1 Large Egg
1 Cup Barney Butter Almond Butter
½ Cup Granulated Sugar
½ Cup Brown Sugar, Lightly Packed
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1 Tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg with a handheld mixer on low speed. Mix in the almond butter, sugars, baking soda, and vanilla on low speed until just combined.
- Divide the dough into thirds. Gently roll out a third to desired thickness. Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut cookies out and place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining thirds.
- For leftover dough, form golf ball size balls and place on a baking sheet. With a fork, be a small insertion to the top on the ball, and then flatten diagonally with fork to form a heart.
- Bake for 10 minutes for soft cookies, and up to 12 minutes for crisper cookies.